Name Change in North Carolina

What you should know Call (910) 253-5400
[cmwizard menu="Page : Menus" branch="current" siblings=1 start_at="-1" /]
[ninja_forms id=6]

People change their names for a variety of reasons. If you, or your minor child wishes to change their legal name, we can assist you through the process.

Adult Name Change

If you are over the age of 18, we can guide you through the process to  legally change your name. The process begins with posting notice of the name change and then filing a petition with the court.  Among other documents, you will need an FBI Background Check, SBI Background Check, official fingerprint cards, and character witnesses. Rest assured that our experienced attorneys will walk you through every step of the way.

Minor Child Name Change

The last name of a minor child is often changed to create family cohesion. Unlike an adult name change, background checks are not required for a minor child’s name change. However, so long as both parents are alive, and on the birth certificate, both parents will need to consent to the name change.  Be aware that certain circumstances automatically create a legal name change, such as adoption. If a minor child wishes to legally change their name, our firm can provide the direction and guidance needed to navigate the legal process.

Resuming Maiden Name

Often times, a woman or man might want to resume their maiden name after a divorce. Although it is not required to request the resumption of the maiden name during a divorce, the process is certainly more simple than waiting until after the divorce is complete. If you request the resumption of your maiden name in the divorce complaint or counter-claim, the name change will be automatic through the divorce judgment. If you wish to resume your maiden name after a divorce, we are here to guide you through the process.

We invite you to contact our firm to schedule a consultation to begin the name change process.

[ninja_forms id=6]